12/26/2011

Tuna Salad Pita Pocket

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!! I know I did! My family never really eats as much as we do on Thanksgiving so I wasn't as stuffed as I was. Phew! I enjoyed being with the family and all the unnecessary gifts that I received. I enjoyed the giving of gifts I was able to give more! 


The year is coming to an end and that means the usual New Years Resolutions & of course New Years eve parties! Keep in touch and I'll be putting some great recipes up soon!


I have a hard time trying to tell people that this is something I eat because most people I know don't like tuna. Therefore, if they don't like tuna, they probably don't like fish. My sister's one of those people and no matter how many health benefits I tell her they have, she's still against any kind of fish.

Do you have any idea how healthy fish is for you?

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how beneficial fish is, if you've never liked fish, you'll probably never change your mind about it. Fish is one of those foods people either find nasty or tasty, so I understand. Maybe I can change your mind?

I'll pretend I did even if I didn't.

Lets talk about the healthy benefits of Tuna! If you really don't care about the health benefits, scroll down to get this super easy recipe! It's perfect for lunch! ;)



Health Benefits:

Omega-3 fatty acids contribute to healthy brain development, improve circulation and reduce inflammation resulting from exercise and competition. Omega-3s also improve energy levels and have many heart health benefits.

Selenium, a powerful antioxidant found in tuna, can help bolster the immune system and thwart colds and flu that can result when heavy training impairs the immune system.

B vitamins in tuna maintain and build red blood cells and increase energy levels, which is much needed during the most grueling of workouts.

Vitamin D, also found in tuna, helps to build strong bones. Vitamin D is also essential in helping the body fight infection and combat cancer as well as plays a protective role against multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases.

Lean protein is essential to building lean muscle mass and providing the body with energy. Research shows that eating protein-rich foods like canned tuna can help with satiety and slow down digestion, keeping you fuller longer and leaving you less likely to eat more calories at your next meal.

Low in fat and calories, tuna is a great substitute for meats and dairy products that are higher in saturated fats and trans fatty acids.

WHAT ABOUT THE MERCURY?!?!?!

The best advice is to eat a variety of seafood, tuna included, to best avoid too much mercury as well as consume a healthy variety of nutrients that different seafood provide. And good news, you don’t have to settle for plain old tuna in a can. Next time you go grocery shopping, check out the delectable array of seasoned tuna – in cans and pouches!



Tuna Salad Pita Pocket
serves 1
  • 1 Pita pocket bread
  • 4 oz. can chunk light tuna (I get the ones in water)
  • half a medium size tomato
  • Romaine lettuce (desired amount)
  • 1 Lemon
  • 1/2 tsp. Olive oil
Directions
  1. Open the can of tuna and place into a small mixing bowl. 
  2. Slice half of the tomato (like hamburger style!)
  3. Chop up your lettuce & squeeze the juice out of your lemon
  4. Place all the ingredients into the small mixing bowl of tuna and drizzle the lemon juice & olive oil. Mix all the ingredients.
  5. Gently place the tuna salad into the pita pocket.
Calories: 214 per serving

Eat whatever fruit your hungry heart desires!

Enjoy!!

Love, Angel xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10