7/21/2014

BIRTHDAY CAKE PROTEIN SHAKE



Cheers to another year!
My birthday is exactly 7 days from today and I could not be happier with my life.
Sometimes I freak out when I realize how time has flown by so quickly. I mean, I remember when I would hide with my sister from my dad when he would come home from work. Or how when my dad would drive off down the street for work and I'd chase him as far as I could on my tricycle before he turned the corner. It seems like it was just yesterday I was doing these things. It's bittersweet growing older but at the same time, I've experienced more life since then.

Like everyone, I've gone through ups and downs in life. I've fought battles in which I've won some and lost some. I've changed plenty of times and I'd like to think I'm always changing for the better. People don't realize how powerful memories are. It's essentially all you'll have because special moments don't last forever, only your memory of it.

Hold onto your memory; love your memory.

As you can see as I wrote above, some of my favorite memories are from childhood. I loved my childhood and if I was given the chance to go back and relive it all, I would.

I'll be turning 23 on the 28th of July and I've certainly made memories in my short life.
Memories like singing on stage for the first time, learning the guitar, graduating high school, meeting the love of my life, losing weight, starting this blog, and my most recent one, becoming a women's health action hero. (and meeting so many awesome, like minded women!!)

Every year on my birthday, Simon asks me what I've learned now that I'm another year wiser.
This past year I learned not to let fear hold me back in pursing my goals, passions, and dreams. I've always been so scared of failing that I became comfortable in knowing that I wouldn't pursue my dreams. I was scared to apply for the Women's Health Action Hero position that I almost didn't even do it. I finally did apply when I decided to step out of my comfort zone and now I can proudly say that I am a Women's Health Action Hero.

Also, I've always been a singer/songwriter at heart. I had a good run with singing but I eventually stopped. Simon and I met under music networking and when we got into a relationship, he always expressed how sad it made him that I didn't pursue music anymore, let alone any of my real passions. I can proudly say that I'm getting back into music. I've already played guitar for him at a gig and we'll be performing at an open mic. Baby steps.

I'm so grateful for this life and all that the future holds for me.
Life is way too short, we all know that.
And, life is way too short not to drink birthday cake protein shakes.






































I've made plenty of smoothies and shakes in my life and this one is my favorite. I love the colorful sprinkles on the chocolate rim. I love the simplicity of the shake, vanilla batter. It's like when I used to get a vanilla birthday cake with rainbow sprinkles and party balloons on each corner.

It's nostalgic.






I know some people who don't celebrate birthdays. It's a sad thing, really. I think everyone should celebrate the birth of a person. Everyone's a living miracle and it's a beautiful thing when you stop and think about it.

There will never come a day where I don't want to celebrate my birthday or anyone else's. Whether it be a small get together or a bigger than life event, I'll always celebrate someone's life.

BIRTHDAY CAKE PROTEIN SHAKE

Author: Shape Up To Wake Up
Serves: 1

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 cup choice of milk
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • Chocolate chips
  • Rainbow Nonpareils Sprinkles
  • Ice cubes
  • optional: 1 tsp butter or almond extract


INSTRUCTIONS

  • Mix milk, protein powder, ice, and extract in a blender.
  • Melt chocolate chips in a small microwave dish and pour sprinkles into a separate bowl.
  • Dip the rim of your glass into the melted chocolate then dip the chocolate dipped rim into the bowl of sprinkles. Coat generously.
  • Pour shake into the cup and enjoy!

xo,


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10