1/14/2013

Berry Medley Banana Overnight Oats


I'm a sucker for anything pink.

Literally.

As I look around my desk, I have a pink phone case, pink flowers, pink pen, pink pencil, pink calendar, pink markers, pink coaster, pink letter holder, pink ribbons...and that's just what's around my desk.

So yea, pink's my favorite color.

You know what else is my favorite?

Oatmeal.

But not just any kind of oatmeal...cold overnight oatmeal with berries & bananas.


This healthy oatmeal can be eaten any time of the day, maybe I'm over exaggerating. It's full of fiber, antioxidants, & vitamins and the best part? No cooking required! 

Aw yeaaah!! ;)


Berry Medley Banana Overnight Oats



Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup quick oats
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (any milk works fine)
  • 1/4 medium banana, sliced (freeze the rest for smoothies or ice cream!)
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
  • 1-2 tbsp honey (any sweetener works fine)
  • pinch of cinnamon (optional)

Optional Topping

  • 1 tbsp chopped pecans (or any nut)

Directions:
  • Place all the ingredients in a jar, shake, cover and refrigerate overnight. Optionally add a topping like nuts, granola mix, etc.

Health benefits!

There are so many health benefits in berries that I could make my entire blog about it. I'll leave all the confusing big words like "polyphenols" and "anthocyanins" out so that I don't cause any confusion.

Blueberries 
  • Can help improve memory
  • Lower blood sugar levels
  • Control blood-glucose levels in type-II diabetes
Raspberries 
  • Control blood-glucose levels in type-II diabetes
  • Lowers oxidative stress, reducing inflammation, and thereby altering the development or reproduction of cancer cells involving breast, cervical, colon, esophageal, and prostate cancers
Blackberries 
  • Prevent cancer and heart disease 
  • Rich in manganese and vitamin C which helps develop resistance against infectious agents, counter inflammation, and scavenge harmful free radicals from the human body
Enjoy, my hungry little hearts!



No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10